Wednesday 9 April 2014

Denim; the never dying trend of the season(s)

Hello my lovely readers! 

Today´s post is dedicated to one of the few "it gets never too old" pieces: the Denim Jacket (and Denim in general anyway)!
I personally owe a couple; they take me flawlessly spring-to-fall and are easy to match! 
You can (almost) wear them with everything, whether pants or skirt, patterned or block, a denim jacket impeccably matches most of items in your wardrobe. 

But what is "Denim" exactly? For those who don' t know, well,  Denim is "nothing" but a hard cotton textile ;) 

You already knew that and are thinking "duh" I know what denim is?
Now, what you might not know is that Denim finds its origins in the city of Nimes in France and that the Nimes' residents initially called the fabric "Serge de Nimes", which was later shortened too "Denim". 
A lot of people often mix up Denim and Jeans (yup I also call it Jeans Jacket sometimes, but whatever, even though I sound wrong at times, people get what I mean!) - so let´s make the difference clear. Denim is a fabric, and Jeans is a garnment!

The word Jeans for instance is completely unrelated to the word Denim (as per its origins as least). The first denim-similar pants ("jeans") were seen in the Italian port city of Genoa. Genoa, in French, is called "Gênes" - see the connection? 
Well Genoa was more famous for the production of corduroy, the "predenim" material (as I call it), which the French tried to reproduce but did not succeed. Instead they created denim - or "Serge de Nimes". 

Of course the interpretation of the origin might not be 100% accurate, but I do see the pattern and sense in it.


Levi Strauss might have put into the market the jeans pants as we know them todY (initially used as work trousers), but I like to believe that without the old continent tres-chic´s nation (namely, France), maybe we would not know of this easy going street wear garnment at all. 

In the 60´s Jeans have been seen as a rebellious item (even James Dean had them on in one of his movies - "Rebel without a Cause" - an all time classic for me!), they could not be worn in theaters (even my Grandma, an elegant typical 60's lady, went all crazy on my mum whenever she had them!), and they were not part of everyone's wardrobe. 
Today even my Grandma owns a pair of jeans, she even owns a denim jacket!

Today this once labour class related material is being used not only for pants and jackets, but also for shoes, bags and..believe it or not...for couches as well! A talented young business man and designer named Dimitris Zoz owns THE IT Denim Atelier you should definitely pay a visit too!It is in Florence, Italy (I mean, where else?!) so it might not be close to you, but if you are in the region and can visit, believe me, his unique hand made products and trend setting designs are love at first sight!
There you might end up not only buying your next studded hot denim pants, but also a comfortable and fashionable denim furniture piece for your house! Want to know more? Open the following links and definitely take a look at when deciding what your next denim item should be and how it should look like! ;)
http://www.dimitriszoz.com/online/
http://www.dimitriszoz.com/home


As a brief footnote, here are some of my favourite pieces of the season:
From left to right, top to bottom: The top two ones are both light blue Zara denim jackets (both pictures taken from www.zara.com, where you can also directly shop them), Mango Messenger Denim Bag (picture from www.mango.es), Replay CLASSIN DENIM Jacket (from www.zalando,de), and Michael Kors Large Selma Zip Cluth (picture from http://www.neimanmarcus.com where you can also buy it!).  




And just as a note, here is my last addition to my denim collection, fresh from the store. ONLY Denim Jacket (picture from www.zalando.de)


I wish you all a lovely evening xx

No comments:

Post a Comment