Sunday 1 June 2014

Travel Pill: Vamos al Tequila


 

So here I am, showing my best Tequila drinking skills in this shameless picture of myself, in a little Mayan Restaurant somewhere close to the Uxmal archaeological zone, in Mexico.
I am not much of a „shot drinker“, I prefer the so called „Lady drinks“, but as I was round-tripping in Mexico last month, I couldn`t help but try out their drinking culture.
Being quite ignorant on the subject, I was surprised to find out how all the things I thought were true about Tequila are completely wrong. I was convinced, like probably many of you are too, that you can choose between either silver or gold tequila – the former accompanied by salt and lemon, and the latter with ginger and orange.
I made quite a big fool out of myself on my first evening out in Merida (Yucatan, Mexico) when asking the surprised waiter to bring me ginger, and some oranges to accompany my shot. I used my best Spanish skills to explain myself and I still didn´t get what I then thought to be the best tequila ever. The problem was not the language impediment. The problem was that the waiter hat absolutely no clue what I was talking about!

So my dear readers there you go. Mexicans drink their tequila pure!
You can choose between Blanco or Plata (our silver), Joven (the equivalent to our gold, with a sweeter touch, Reposado, Anejo, and Extra Anejo (oh that one flows really smoothly!)

Are you planning to fly to Mexico? Don´t forget to bring a nice bottle of Tequila to share with friends of family on a Mexican evening J
 
 
 
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment